Saturday, February 13, 2016

Retro Album Spotlight: Hanoi Rocks: Two Steps From the Move

I'll be honest, I had never heard of Hanoi Rocks until Motley Crue was involved. In a negative way.
Nicholas "Razzle" Dingley, Hanoi Rocks' drummer was killed in a car accident in which Motley Crue singer Vince Neil was the driver.

1984. That's when Two Steps From The Move was released. And that may have been the genesis of my love for albums and not songs.

Two Steps From The Move starts off with a pretty killer cover of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Up Around The Bend".




And you know I like records you can listen to with little or no skips.  This is one of those albums. If Steel Panther does not cite Hanoi Rocks as an influence, I would be disappointed as "High School" is right up their alley.

"I Cant' Get It" is a knock on excess, even though 80s rock is  a case study in excess.




That is followed by "Underwater World". If Guns 'n Roses claims not to be influenced by this, they are lying.




Before power ballads were a thing, Hanoi Rocks was already doing them. "Don't You Ever Leave Me" is a perfect example.




And probably my favorite Hanoi Rocks song: " Million Miles Away".



Last video. "Boulevard of Broken Dreams".  There are three more songs on the record. If you've made it this far, then I don't need to go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment