Saturday, January 31, 2015

Spotify

Whenever Taylor Swift does anything it creates a lot of hoopla. Awhile back it was announced that she was pulling all of her music from the streaming music service Spotify. Whatever her reasons, OK. Do what you have to do Taylor.

Spotify actually pays artists for plays on the service. It's not much, but at least it's not "stealing" music. I use Spotify, and love it. I pay for a premium subscription so I can download and escape the ads.

I find a lot of new, cool stuff on Spotify. Artists I never would have heard otherwise. Of course, that is not a problem for Miss Swift. She's pretty well known as it is. She'll be OK.

Yet artists seem to be OK with fans posting crappy, distorted video shot with their smart phones on youtube. Whatever.

Which brings me to this. I'm sure other artists have done it, but this is the first one of which I've been aware. Jana Kramer released her latest single, "I Got The Boy", exclusively to Spotify. No official youtube video, no Vevo, just Spotify. I don't know, maybe she has a deal with Spotify.

It will be interesting to see where all of this goes in the future. It seems like people are picking sides right now and Spotify seems to be at the fulcrum.

In the meantime, I'll be searching out good music.

No comments:

Post a Comment