Saturday, August 5, 2017

Bad Conflation Between Sports and Music

This is not a rant or complaint. Just observations relating to real life experience.

I'm in a pretty good space with this blog. I write about what I want, when I want. I receive no income and I do this mostly for my own amusement. If people read and enjoy it, great. If not, whatever. At least I have the archives to see where I was at some point in time.

I mostly focus on music here, but I'm a big sports fan. Recently the University of Texas, Louisiana State University and Notre Dame have come out with how reporters can cover the teams. Limiting tweets and other social media until a specified time. To me, this is a huge pile of something.

This sucks for the media outlets. They depend on getting content for the teams in order to sell. The institutions hold all the leverage unless...

And this would take a huge collaborative effort with all media members. If every and all media not team affiliated would stop covering the team, they would cave. Just shut it down. Not going to happen, because content.

I've had the opportunity to do Q&A's with several interesting artists. In all but one instance I've been able to contact the artist directly. When I have to go through a third party (manager/publicist/etc) I've pretty much been stonewalled.

If you have read any of my Q&A's, I'm not looking for dirt. I just like interesting people. But I am not compromising what I know works for some manager/publicist. I could have had a great Q&A but was shut down by management. Or I could have had a boring Q&A.

I know where I stand. I'm not delusional. Katy Perry has not responded to any of my requests. Nor should she or her team. But it would be great if she did. I have questions.

When I contact an artist and am immediately referred to a management company/manager I know i'm not getting that one. All I do is ask. Shot down or ignored more times than not, but the one's that agreed, I have some good stuff.

I know I'm small time. But hey, even if your manager/publicist doesn't think it's worth the time, your fans will.

No comments:

Post a Comment