Friday, August 14, 2015

The Evolution of a Blog

I started writing this blog mostly for my own amusement. I didn't know what I was doing or where it was going. I'm a sports fan and a music lover. It was never going anywhere very heady.

I started out doing mostly sports with a little music. Then it moved to more music with less sports to where it is now and almost exclusively music although I can't help myself but slip some sports in there from time to time.

When I slowly transitioned from sports to music, I still didn't know what I was doing. I didn't want to spend any time or energy criticizing stuff that sucks, I wanted to feature stuff I liked. That led me further and further away from anything mainstream.

I never really did reviews, but more like spotlights. If I wrote about it, it was something I liked. I've neglected that part a bit lately. Not because I don't want to, or have become lackadaisical. It's that I've found a better way to use this forum.

On a whim, I reached out to a couple of independent, unsigned artists going the do-it-yourself path to do Q&A's. The worst thing that could happen is they said no or did not respond. And that has happened. But some have said yes.

When the first artist agreed to do it, I did not take it lightly. They were giving up their time for me. It's always about the music that gets me, but there are also stories to be told. I dig into the websites and blogs. I try to ask interesting questions that will illicit interesting answers.

I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Daisy Dead and Meta Dead of the Dead Deads for getting this thing started. They didn't have to do this. I made some mistakes on that first one. I've since been better, in large part because of their invaluable feedback.

I would also like to publicly thank the other artists who have given me this opportunity: Kate Vargas, Jenni Dale Lord, Kate Lynne Logan and Jessica Meuse. And another one in the can that hasn't been published. You know who you are.

Hopefully this will continue. In the mean time: Listen to albums, not songs. Support live music. Pay for your music.


No comments:

Post a Comment