Saturday, August 16, 2014

Album Spotlight: Sunny Sweeney: Provoked

For my 2.5 readers, sorry I've been away for a while. But I'm back with a strong recommendation.

Sunny Sweeney's latest album Provoked is nothing short of brilliant. I tweeted earlier "Smart, witty, poignantly funny at times." That's the short version. And that could be the entire version and be accurate.

Let's get this out of the way early, Sunny Sweeney does not possess the soaring vocal capabilities of Carrie Underwood or Ann Wilson or Lzzy Hale. But she does have the ability to convey plenty of emotion in the songs that she wrote. And what a fantastic songwriter she is.

Heartache, heart break, the other woman, the flawed partner, the bad girl, the snark, sarcasm and playfulness. And a lot of real life. It all comes together seamlessly.

We are almost to September, and this is in my top two records this year.

I don't know if this is my favorite track on the record, or just my favorite lyrics. But either way, I like "Second Guessing".





This next song is on the record, but it's just more fun in any live setting. There are plenty of youtube videos of it as she has been doing it for over three years, that I know of, maybe longer. I like this one.




Sunny Sweeney on Amazon.

TheCheapSeats on Twitter.

2 comments:

  1. I've been aware of Sunny Sweeney for awhile, but haven't spent too much time listening to her. I absolutely love the lyrics of "Second Guessing." Great song, but you make a good point about her voice. I like the way she sounds live better. The second song is really fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, don't know too much about the back catalog. I'll probably spend some time in the future looking into previous records. But I like this one.

      Delete