Saturday, February 14, 2015

Album Spotlight: Blackberry Smoke: Holding All The Roses

You know when you are looking forward to a new record release and then it comes out and you're so disappointed? Yeah, I do too. But with Blackberry Smoke's Holding All The Roses that didn't happen.

Charlie Starr and the boys bring their country fried southern rock tinged with country to a new level. I'm not sure if there is a bad song on the album.

The vocals are not stellar, no blazing guitar solos, just a fantastic band locking into what they do. And doing it well.

Blackberry Smoke, along with Whiskey Myers, are doing Southern Rock the right way. Are they Skynyrd? Nope. Are they Marshall Tucker? Nope. Are they the Allmans? Nope. What they are is Blackberry Smoke. And that's a good thing.

I could try to break it down song-by-song, but that would be futile. There are heavy doses of Southern Rock, there is honky tonk, there is country. And it's all good.

I know it's expected to post a vid of my favorite song. I don't know that I have a favorite yet, so I'll go with this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment