We are here to help out the casual baseball fan whose head may be spinning a bit with all the non-baseball news surrounding baseball. And we think you know what we're talking about.
With about six weeks left in the season, here's what we have going on:
- The Pirates are in first place in the NL Central. Not a typo. Yes, those Pirates. From Pittsburgh. The Pirates currently hold a three game advantage over the St. Louis Cardinals. And a lot of you thought that franchise had folded years ago, right?
- The Texas Rangers and Oakland Athletics are currently in a dogfight for supremacy of the AL West. Separated by a mere one half game in the standings, and dead even in the loss column, this race could come down to the last day of the season as it did last year.
- The Boston Red Sox and Tampa Bay Rays are involved in quite the battle themselves in the AL East. Just a game between them in the standings with Baltimore lurking around at 5 1/2 games out.
- The LA Dodgers are probably playing the best of anyone in baseball right now, taking a commanding lead in the NL West over Arizona.
- On a lesser note, the Kansas City Royals are above .500. Might not sound like much, but ask a Royals fan.
It's time for A-Rod to fade away. Disappear forever. That won't happen, so it's time for us to just focus on what is happening between the lines. Some good baseball yet to be played. Let's enjoy the pennant races. That's what it should be all about this time of year.